Friday, August 24, 2007

My First Public Function as a Pastor

So tonight I performed my first public function as a pastor. Some pastors first public function is their worship service, maybe a wedding, or even a funeral. Well, I am proud to say that my first public function as a pastor was racing a golf cart around Greenville Pickens Speedway. I might be a redneck.

It was a blast. I started dead last due to the draw in the field of 12 pastors. At the start of the race, two guys didn't get going so I dove to the inside to pass them and got tangled up with another golf cart. I sent that pastor into the inside wall. After the race he told me that it warped the wheels on his and it wouldn't ever get up to speed. I was proud of that. Anyway, I shot to the inside and drafted past a few more golf carts and with the first quarter of the race, I was up to 6th. Going down the straight away I pushed the lady minister out of the way and moved into 5th. Coming out of the last turn I was able to move up into 4th.

After the race the lady that I had moved out of the way on the front stretch and tried to hit my cart back. I was pleased to have picked up 8 positions in the one lap race but the racer in me wanted the win.

My friend Reggie "The Rocket" Smith from Marathon North picked up the win. I believe it had to be the training that I gave him this past Monday Night on my backyard go kart track that proved to be the difference. Before I tutored him in the fine art of driving, he was a hopeless case. I do take solace in knowing that one of my driving pupils took home the prize. I felt like a proud parent. Now, with just a little more driving lessons, maybe Bryan Holder can one day drive Project 109 the way that Reggie drove that golf cart.

No comments: