Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Wow

Wow! That is pretty much all I can think of at this moment. This past 15 months has been the wildest ride we could have ever experienced. We have experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Some of the high points include the day Isaac received his new cells. Just thinking about his second chance at life is almost overwhelming. Another high point was seeing all the presents pour in for Isaac's Christmas Train Project. I will never forget that day when we delivered the gifts to all the kids in the hospital. In particular, hearing the one little girl scream out in excitement over the Dora The Explorer doll she had just received. This too was an overwhelming experience in a good way.


Unfortunately, we have experienced some lows as well. We have met many wonderful families while in the BMT area. The toughest thing we have seen has been watching families experience the loss of a child. Each of these kids were special. Each had their own unique personalities. Each of them faced their sickness with courage that I have never witnessed anywhere else. These kids were concerned for each other, joined together by a common experience. We have pictures on our refrigerator of drawings and coloring book pages that some of these kids sent to Isaac. They will be missed. They have impacted our lives.

There was the night Isaac lost over half of his blood volume and the subsequent week stay in ICU. I will never forget the feeling when the doctors told us that Isaac wasn't well enough for a transplant. I will always remember the nights of 106 degree fevers and wondering if he would be ok. I will remember the good reports and the bad reports and taking two steps forward and three back.



I remember the nights that Isaac and I would go for a wheel chair ride each night at 11:00 p.m. down the empty halls of the hospital. I remember the night that he had projectile diahrea and it went all up the wall. I remember how he laughed while I was on my hands and knees cleaning it up and gagging the whole time. I remember the smiles on his face when he would be opening the boxes of gifts that were going to the kids in the hospital. I remember our little chubby Isaac that was full of steroids. I remember the day he finally was released from the hospital.




And finally I will always remember the day hat he got to come home February 1st 2007.

No comments: