Monday, January 8, 2007

Emergency Room?

Ok so I have been thinking about the whole concept of the "Emergency Room" ever since this past Friday when Isaac had to go in for vomitting and diahrea. In order for the hospital to admit him, we have to go through the ER. Anyway, Friday we headed off to the hospital. We got in the parking lot and let's just say that it was good that we carry a spare bedpan in the back of the car. He was experiencing some nasty stuff in more ways than one. I just feel sorry for the guy who had to empty the trash can in the parking garage that day. We made it into the ER and they took us to triage. The first thing I notice is that for it to be an Emergency Room, there aren't many people in there that look to be in a state of Emergence. I notice a few sniffers, some sneezers and a couple of hackers but nothing that looks to a degree of Emergenceiness. There are no mangled people, no bones pertruding or nothing of that sort.

We get back into the triage and they go through about 30 minutes worth of questions and seem to be in no hurry. Well, Isaac looks at us and says I've got to diahhrea. So we look to the nurse/30 minutes of questions lady and say we need to get a bed pan and quick. She looks at us and keeps on asking questions. He says I'm about to go. We look at her and say again we need a bed pan and quick. She is in no hurry whatsoever and continues to stand there. After about another minute of her just standing there, he uncorks. Let's just say I would hate to be the person that had to clean up triage that day. Which leads me to to this. Does Emergency Room really mean Emergency anymore? In their defense, I imagine they see hundreds of people each week that aren't experiencing an emergency but rather something that a trip to the drug store could cure. I also discovered that it probably wouldn't be good for me to work in the emergency room either because about the first time someone asked me for a bed pan I would probably freak out and take off running down the hall yelling for a Code "Uncle Jed". Come on, you have to know what Code "Uncle Jed" is. You know, "out from his rear came a bubblin crude, black gold, Texas tea" . Well that's about all I have for right now. I'll leave you with this and you'll be singing in your head the rest of the day...... Next thing you know old Jed's a millionaire, kin folk said Jed move away from there, said California is the place you oughta be, so they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly, Hills that is, swimming pools, movie stars.......... Ya'll come back now. Ya hear.

No comments: