Saturday, January 13, 2007

Should I Shake Him?

Today, Isaac and I went got out of the house for the first time since he was in the hospital last week. He had been wanting to go to a couple of train stores in Cincy. So off we went into a pretty rough area. We ended up in the part of the city that I had told him we couldn't go to because of the crime in that area. I figured with it being a Saturday morning that all of the drug dealers would still be alseep. I was right, everything was pretty calm. No one was really out and about and plus we passed a cop about every two blocks. We finally made it to the train store. We went in and we were the only customers. There were 5 elderly gentlemen(between 70-90 years old) working in the store. It is always fun to go in one of these stores because they instantly all start talking to you at once. It's kind of a funny thing trying to carry on multiple conversations with 4 or 5 people at once. And the great thing is that none of them could really hear my reply to them so basically I would nod my head, laugh a little, and say yes sir, all the while having no clue to what they were talking about. The weird part happened as we were about to leave. There was one of the older men sitting behind the counter at the cash register. He was sitting reading what looked to be an inventory list or something. He was reading along and then whamo! He was out like a light. He went into an instant sleep. He didn't fall out of his chair but his head slumped over and was out to the world. There was no dozing off period, he just went straight to sleep. I was in an awkward position. My first thought was that this man has just died. I need to do something. I thought, should I shake him? I tried the loud cough to get his attention but that didn't work. The whole time the other men were just carrying on about their business. They just stepped around him and kept on working. Then finally I saw him breathe. I was relieved. In my mind I had been thinking this guy is dead and I'm gonna have to do CPR. I had wondered if his breath would smell while I was doing CPR. My mouth had never touched the mouth of another man. That thought alone had me thinking that this guy was gonners. Anyway, it turned out for the best he continued to breath and sleep. We left and so ended our adventure for today.

No comments: