Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dilemma

Isaac is back out of the hospital and at the rental house. He decided he wanted something from Applebees for lunch. Melissa called it in and sent me out in the 17 degree weather(I am patting myself on the back right now for being willing to brave the cold frozen tundra and put food on the table. Well, that is if you consider to- go food from a restaurant like putting food on the table. I didn't actually have to kill it and skin it or anything but just the fact that it is 17 degrees outside makes it seem more like I am a neolithic provider. Plus, I have always wanted to use the word neolithic in a post.)

Anyway, back to my post. So I pulled up to the to-go parking spot. Usually they will come out and take your money and then bring out your food. This time was different. No one came outside so I got out and went in. I paid for my food and then got in the car. I was almost back to the house and it hit me. I hadn't left a tip. Then another thought hit me. Am I supposed to tip on a to-go order?

Don't get me wrong here. I am not someone who skips out on a tip. I always leave 15% and many times I leave more depending on the service. One of my pet peeves is to be eating with someone and them try to stiff the wait staff. But as I thought about this on the way home, it really made me wonder. I never tip at Burger King or Wendys. I don't tip the pizza place when I go to pick it up. So when is it appropriate to tip on a to-go order at a restaurant? Is it always? Is it only when they bring it out to your car? Is it never on a to-go order?

I would love to hear your opinions. Leave a comment and let me know what you would do.

1 comment:

David Garrett said...

My wife busted my butt for not tipping the girl at capris for bringing the food to the car. She was in the rest. business and said that we should tip them....Crap more money gone. lol