Tuesday, June 19, 2007

What Do You Say?

Today we headed back up to Cincinnati. We arrived about 9:00 p.m. . Isaac has doctor appointments and treatments tomorrow.

As we started going up the road I noticed Isaac was being pretty quiet in the back seat. I could tell he was thinking about something so I decided to ask him what was wrong. As soon as I asked it seemed like he was wanting me to ask and he immediately began crying. I asked him why he was upset and what he said blew me away.

He said" Daddy, I'm not questioning God but sometimes I wonder why he picked me to go through this."

This coming from my 9 year old. What do you say? Melissa and I looked at each other speechless. We tried to console him. We told him that there is a reason for everything and that he was the strongest boy we knew. We told him everything that he has been through has caused many people to look up to him.

I thought about what he said for the next 5-6 hours on the way up here. As I thought about it, I was reminded of a conversation I had with my grandpa Sunday. He is in his mid 80's and is battling cancer. Sunday I had a chance to sit down just him and me for a few minutes. Those few minutes provided enough wisdom for years. Sunday, he said this to me "Sam, God will never put on us more than we can handle. Sometimes it's a little stronger dose than we would want but it is never more than we can bear".

I worry about Isaac. I just want the right things to say when he feels this way.

1 comment:

wink said...

When I read your blog about Isaac asking you and Melissa why God chose him to suffer, I am reminded of something I heard Billy Graham say once.
"There is a mystery to tragedies and suffering, and we may never know the answer until we meet God face to face and he explains it to us. But great suffering holds a message. We should ask God in our suffering what he is wanting to teach us about him, ourselves, and others. We have to remember that people are going to watch us as Christians. God's word teaches us to be patient in suffering. And it's the hardest thing to do, but our tears become telescopes into heaven."
Yes, Isaac's suffering has been immense. But many of us can see some of the lives that his suffering has touched. I believe God picked Isaac because he knew how many people all over this world would see his suffering and come to know him because of it. There will be people in heaven solely because of you Isaac. So remember, when you wonder why you were chosen to fight this battle, it is because you are a GREAT WARRIOR for the kingdom of God. In nine short years, you have accomplished more than many have spent a lifetime trying to do. God chooses people who can triumph for his kingdom. You are a MIGHTY WARRIOR.