Sunday, June 17, 2007

Nice to Relax

As I said yesterday, I just got back from speaking at a youth camp this past week so today we just took time to unwind. We went to Isaac's favorite place this afternoon, Aunt Sue's on Highway 11. Then after that we went to Greenville and visited with both of my grandfathers and grandmothers. It was good to get to see them. It brought back a ton of memories from when I was a kid and it was a cool afternoon. This was the first time they had gotten to see Isaac in a few years because of his sickness. They were all excited and glad to see them. Then this evening my parents came over and spent time at the house.

I sat on the porch this evening and reflected on life. I reflected on some words of wisdom that my grandfather gave me this afternoon. And I reflected on the events of the past week.

This was the first year I have been at youth camp in the last 14 years and have not been the youth minister in charge. And I must say it felt nice. I was in charge of speaking and games and that was cool with me. I didn't have to do the games part but that is something I always enjoy and it is fun being creative with that stuff. The coolest part was that when the week was over, my work was done. No parents gripes. Nothing. Probably one of the most frustrating things a youth pastor experiences is pouring their heart and soul into a week of camp only to come home and find some parent whining or complaining about something that you couldn't control anyway. Or worse yet, coming back and listen to some pastor who sat home while you led students and leaders through a week away from your own family and he has some petty gripe about the church van being dirty, his kid being unhappy, or something else ridiculous. Yes, this week just confirmed to me that this is where I belong. If I screw something up, then I can fuss at myself. Right now though it is just relaxing not having to deal with the junk that goes along with it.

Props to Bholda. Great job as always. This dude worked his butt off, was almost swept away by someones porch during baptism(seriously, during the baptism service in the ocean, part of a porch went by during the storm waves) and he had to bungee. Props to Chase and the youth band. It is awesome to think that these guys are all students and they really bring it. Probably the best thing about these kids is that they aren't hired guns and you can tell by the way they play from the heart to their peers. Great job.

One thing that I think Bryan could do better. He needs to learn to time the waves during baptism. That way maybe he doesn't drop people in the sand next time.

No comments: