Saturday, June 23, 2007

One Man's Junk

This morning I got up early because their was an auction about a mile from the house and I wanted to see what kind of junk they were going to sell off. Auctions can be fun to go and sit and just watch people. There are all types of people there. There is usually a some guy wearing a real nice polo shirt who has no clue about how to bid at an auction. Then there is always some guy smoking a cigar and he is buying everything to take back to his antique booth to sale. And then there is always a lady in her mid 60's and she is buying all the crap that no one else will bid on. When I see someone like this I begin to wonder what this person's house must look like and then I only have to think of what my garage looks like and there you go.

Anyway it is always amusing the stuff that you see at an auction. Today though was kind of unique though because as I was walking around looking at the stuff before the auction started, I discovered an oak dresser that used to belong to me. It was like DejaVu. The reason I knew it was mine was because the bottom drawer was broken out when I bought it and I had made it into a kind of blanket chest and we had used it in our house for 3-4 years. Back in 2000, I had sold the dresser at an auction in Williamston. I never knew who had bought it that day but I found out today that it was someone who lived in Easley and after about 7 years of use they decided it was time to go. It was kind of like seeing the same dollar bill twice. I started to buy it back but then realized I have no space for it. I wonder who ended up with it today and if I'll ever see it again. Hmmmm I wonder.

No comments: