Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Big News

10 years ago on March 17, 1998, when Isaac was only 3 months old, Melissa and I sat with a doctor and listened to him tell us that a majority of kids with Isaac's disease didn't make it to 1st grade. Isaac was able to go to kindergarten for half of a year. Today for the first time in his life Isaac went to public school as a 3rd grader. He is supposed to be in 4th grade but while he was going through chemo and transplant, we didn't give a crap about school, we just wanted a healthy son. No offense to school but we really didn't care about that at that point. I cried on the inside not wanting him to see me and be upset. When he was diagnosed with his first disease, my prayer then was that I would see him go to school, see him graduate, and one day see him get married and have as normal of a life as possible. Today, Melissa and I got to see two of these things take place. Today he started public school and began his first day of normal. He didn't sleep at all last night. He was nervous and afraid. He cried before he got out of the car. The doctors tell us this is part of post traumatic stress from all that he has been through. He finally got out of the car and we made the walk to the school. As soon as we wallked in the door and down the halls, all the kids began saying Isaac is here. Suddenly that nervousness went away and he began to smile like I haven't seen him smile in quite sometime. Melissa and I both began to tear up with emotion just thinking of all that he has been through and how far he has come. This is the best thing that I have ever seen. The school has been awesome. It is amazing what encouragement does. All the kids and teachers encouraged him and made his day. The kids in his class were actually competing over who was going to get to help him out during the first few days of school. This is the biggest and best thing in my life. My wife and my son.

Sorry the grammar is bad. I have no one to try and impress. I am me.

3 comments:

stunningman said...

Hey man. I just got choked up reading your post. I am so happy for you guys - I can't imagine all the emotions you are feeling right now. I am excited for you guys and Isaac as God keeps writing an impossible story with your lives!

Brian Rhodes said...

Dude, that's the most incredible news that I've heard in a long time! As excited as I am right now, I'm sure that it's no where near what you guys are feeling. You, Melissa, and Isaac have had a huge impact on my life, and I'm elated at what God continues to do through your lives.

Josh said...

Dude that is so awesome!! I hope Isaac had a great time at school today!!!