Monday, March 31, 2008

To Clear Up Any Misperceptions

Apparently there are some misperceptions regarding how I interact with folks at church and how I choose people for my illustrations.
1. There is a misperception that I may not speak with everyone at church. I say this is a misperception because for the last 5 months, every Sunday including the Sunday my son was in the hospital, I was the last one out of the building. So, if you hear someone saying that I did not speak with them, please ask them why they left early because there are Sundays that I have missed lunch because I have and always enjoy talking to people. I'm usually easy to find.

2. A couple of folks have asked why I usually use one of the guys for my message illustrations. #1 I have one wife and always will. She is more important to me than anything else along with my son. I occasionally use her in illustrations with her permission about the story I am going to tell. I most of the time will not use other ladies in an illustration simply because I refuse to allow the integrity of my marriage to be compromised by constantly referriing to other women. I have one woman in my life and make no apologies for that. The guys I usually tell stories about are usually friends that I hang out with and usually when I tell a story about them it is becasue they have done something stupid or a mutual interest. I don't get into deep conversations with other women about mutual interests because usually that leads to one place and that is an affair. I am in no way trying to shun women stories but I am protecting my marriage and I always will. I am very passionate about this. I can always get another job but I can't go out and get another family.

In the same way, please don't be offended if I don't give you a hug. I am not a hugger. Maybe side hugs but real hugs are reserved for my wife. Unless your dog Rover has died and if you're crying then I may give you a hug.

Again, this is not the big news but it is 1:30 a.m. and I can't sleep. Please continue to pray about decisions that need to be made.

2:10 a.m. update- Still Awake

3. The third misperception that I have heard is that women are not involved in leading any teams. To clear this up, let me just say that we currently have many women leading teams. Hospitality, Greeters, Information, One of the Co leaders for Homegroups is female, we have females invloved in worship and are adding more, the Children's Team led by Erin and Paige do an awesome job. The only teams we have led by males are ushers, media, and music. I am very hands off when it comes to these people running thier teams. Only when it comes to budget stuff do I put my insight. I encourage people to use their gifts and run with them no matter who they are.

Ok I'm going to bed now. Still pray

1 comment:

Paige said...

it really sounds like some people need to get their priorties straight. i have never attended church just so i could speak to the preacher after the service. i hope that the folks with the misperceptions come to church to serve, worship and grow their relationship with Jesus. church is about reaching people to Jesus not a social get together.
if you was to replace the men with women in your illustrations then i would certainly wonder. i am not going to go any futher with that one.
i was really suprised to find out today that for the past 12 years i have been married to a man (Paige) and i would imagine that Erin's better half will be shocked too. i have noticed that there are some women leading teams. the more i think about it i would say they out number the men. but i am not counting.
sammy all i can say is WOW! WHAT A WASTE OF YOUR TIME AND ENRGY TO HAVE TO COMBAT SUCH JUNK. I WONDER WHAT JESUS WOULD THINK, WAIT. I WONDER WHAT JESUS THINKS WHEN THESE FOLKS GOSSIP.
Jason Allen