Monday, March 17, 2008

Stuff I've Learned

I know I said once a week I'd post stuff I've learned but when I learn two things in less than a week I figure I'd share because after all it is pretty rare.

Lesson 2- Don't just talk about it.
There is a really interesting phenomenon taking place in the modern church that I saw for years in the traditional church. It seems as lately many church planters of today have turned into full time conference attenders. I have received invitations to no less than 15 church planter/ modern church conferences that have taken place in the last two months. Most conferences last 2-3 days. The amazing thing is that I personally know some pastors who have attended over half of these. So in the course of the last two months they have been in conferences almost half of that time period. Don't get me wrong, conferences can be a learning experience and you can take things to apply to your church. The key there though is apply.

I could sit around and talk about it in round tables and conferences until I'm blue in the face but if I never do anything, then I have accomplished nothing. I don't have time for people who are all theory and no action. Maybe God has called some people to be professional conference goers. The same is true in church. I have litttle time for people who talk a good game but fail to deliver. There comes a time each of us has to step up and stop talking and act on what we know we should do. You can theorize, debate, talk about what needs to be done but I like to surround myself with people who take action. I think that is what makes our church great, people who are willing to act on what God has called them to do.

1 comment:

stunningman said...

I hear ya man. I get frustrated hearing people rant and rave about this conference and that conference, wondering how much of it has an impact on God's kingdom. But then I have to bring it home and continually ask myself the same thing about all of our meetings, programs, planning, etc... are people coming to know Jesus? If not, then we all labor (or "conference") in vain.