Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Where Do I Start?

Today's journey to Cincinnati started off easy enough. That all changed however when our car decided 3 1/2 hours into our journey that it didn't wish to continue with us. And it just so happened that our car came to this conclusion right at the point where there is no sign of civilization for about thirty miles. And when we did find civilization I am not so sure we really found anything. The car made it to a town called Jellico,TN travelling the interstate at speeds in excess of 42 MPH. Once there we stopped at a Napa Auto Parts store.

I could have literally fit the entire inventory of the store in the back of our Explorer. They didn't even have duct tape. As I sat in their parking lot I was able to diagnose part of the problem. It seems as though this little vacuum hose sensor had decided to just fall apart. The guy inside NAPA told me he could order me one but it might take two or three days. Sorry but I have seen the movie Deliverance and we weren't about to stay in Jellico if you know what I mean.

So, Melissa had some medical tape and I was able to tape up the hose and sensor enough to get the car up to 45 MPH. I called my friend Ryan at Norris Ford in Pickens South Carolina(Which happens to be the number 1 Ford Dealer in the Upstate) and he located the closest Ford Dealership for me. 10 miles and 30 minutes later we arrived just a few minutes before closing. I got the part and headed to a auto parts store to buy some tools to put it on with.(The dealership could have put it on but it would have been a few days before they could get to it.)

I got the part on and away we went. As of right now the part apparently isn't on just right but we did manage to get up to 60 MPH and sometimes 70 going downhill. We arrived late this evening only 3 hours later than expected. Tomorrow morning I will be out looking for some professional help with the Explorer.

In the beginning it was not fun but in the end we were laughing. Isaac said we should have had the go kart with us then that way if we broke down we could go for help.

1 comment:

Jane said...

gotta love the perspective of a child!
We had a similar story when we were driving to SC for Jack's job interview... we were in Ducktown GA or TN and thankfully had a very honest and helpful mom and pop repair shop to help us out.... praise God for answered prayers!
Glad to hear that you guys made is safe and sound. Broken down cars are no fun, but wrecked cars are way bad!