Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I've been doing some reading

Ok so I know the title of this post surprised quite a few of you who think that reading is something I only do when trying to order my fast food. And....... I would have to say for the most part that you are correct. I hate to read but I have found that reading does help my learning. I know the last sentence doesn't sound that way.

But anyway, lately I have been reading in the book of Matthew. I have been reading this in a couple of different translations and a couple of weeks ago I started reading it in the Message paraphrase version just to help me get a grasp of what was being said.

A couple of days ago I read Matthew 5 and verse 5 really stuck out to me. Verse 5 in the Message reads this way. "You're blessed when you're content with just who you are---no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought."

That's what I want to be, Content. For years I tried to win peoples approval, make people happy, put on a performance, and try to be someone else. And for what? That people may think that I was a great guy, amazing youth pastor, someone important or a guy that knew the answers.

I quit. I quit trying to be someone else that is. Roughly, two years ago when Isaac was diagnosed with his disease, I quit trying to pretend to be who people wanted me to be and over the last two years I have began learning to be content with who I am. Would it sound good to be known as Sammy Clary ___________________(You fill in the blank)? Maybe so on the outside and for a moment but on the inside it would have nothing to do with who I am. A few years ago I wrote this poem or thing that kinda of sums up what I am trying to be.

"Somebody"
In actuality I am nobody
In Jesus' eyes I am somebody
In Heaven we'll stand equal,
Because whether or not I am "somebody",
He died for me.

We often place emphasis and praise
on people who have social standing,
fame, wealth, or power.
We may think we are a "Somebody", but
in relation to God we all fall humbly equal.

What are my motives?
What are my reasons?
Is it the praise of men or to hear
Jesus say "well done".

Am I striving to be "Somebody"?
Am I striving to be God's Child?

somebody or "Somebody"?

Author Sammy Clary

No comments: