Friday, April 6, 2007

Who does that?

Ok so Wednesday night I stayed in Panama City Beach at a Christian Retreat Center down there. After my meetings, I decided to run to the Boatyard to get some food. (Just a side note, this is my favorite place to eat in Panama City and is located right next to Capt. Andersen's Marina. Great open air place to eat and I recommend it. You can sit and eat and watch the fishing boats come in with their catch of the day.)

Anyway, on the way back I was heading down front beach road and traffic was bumper to bumper. It was high school Spring Break time and Thomas Drive was packed with teens gathering for the age old ritual of cruising. Inevitably, there are always kids in brand new $75,000 cars given to them by their parents and as always they find it their duty to scream the lyrics to every song as they pass each car in the opposite lane. It is funny to watch because they are singing normally right until the other car gets right beside them and then they suddenly burst out the chorus and begin to gyrate spasticly in their car.

But probably the most memorable thing was this truck that pulled in front of me and I had to follow it for about two miles down the road. In the back was a couple of teenage guys and also a guy in his late 20's- early 30's cruising in the back of the truck. I had no problem with the guy cruising in the back of the truck. But he wasn't just cruising in the back of the truck, he was checking out and hollering at every teenage girl that went by. Who does that? There is always that one guy kinda of like Napoleon's uncle in "Napoleon Dynamite". He wears his tuxedo t-shirt and refuses to realize he is a grown up and always tries to relive the glory days. He is "that guy". He graduated 10 years earlier but has never left youth group. He is that guy in high school who took a 7th grader to the prom when he was a senior.(If you did take a 7th grader to the prom as a senior, please don't tell me and I won't make fun of you.) Anyway, if you are older and want to cruise, go ahead and have fun but don't go and try to pretend you are still in high school.

More on my trip later. It was very productive.

No comments: