Saturday, April 14, 2007

Upside Down Your Turning Me

Sounds like a bad 70's song right? You remember the song. Anyway, this post has nothing to do with the song and everything to do with the way that Bryan Holder drives a go kart. This afternoon we got out the go karts and participated in the back yard ritual once again. Bryan struggled somewhat today in driving. During the first race series, I lapped him 3 times. We then swapped go karts and reversed direction and he found a little speed that he didn't have before. This time I only lapped him once.

We started off for a third series of racing and I was behind him. I passed him on the backstretch. A couple of laps later I got loose going into to turn 3 and he shot by on the inside. His momentum then carried him out wide and I pulled my crossover move to pass him back on the inside. Bryan didn't see me on the inside and as we came to the post in turn one, he cut right across the front of my cart. The kart I was driving has no brakes and I was already committed to the inside. His back right tire climbed right over the front of my kart sending me straight into the fence and sent him flipping onto his side.

The only rule in driving the black kart is to keep your hands inside the kart if you should start to flip. And so what did Bryan do? He immediately put his arm out trying to stop the crash. Fortunately, he was driving the kart with the roll cage and seatbelt and was wearing it. He was unijured other that some scrapes on his arm. It was kind of funny seeing him hanging sideways in the kart unable to free himself from the seatbelt. We both were laughing so hard we almost wet our pants.

After today's crash, I have now installed bumpers on the karts and am looking to get helmets since this racing is turning serious and all.

No comments: