Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Busy Day

Today was busy but a pretty neat day. It started off slow with me working at the office here at the house. I've been working on camp stuff and promo dvds and such. Logistical stuff has been keeping me busy. Then, this afternoon I headed off to OMG Studios where Chasen is in studio recording their newest release. They are in studio for the next couple of months. Chase has asked me to come shoot some video of them while they go through this process. All in all, I am not a music geek or anything but I found it to be interesting. I didn't realize all the writing and rewriting that went into making a CD. I thought you just went into studio and sang and pulled off some guitar riffs.(That last statement sounded like I know music but I really don't and I hope that Guitar Riffs is a word because I think that is what I heard someone say one time.) I will be popping in and out of the studio every so often to film for them as they progress through each stage of the process.

I left the studio at about 4:30 and had some time to kill before I had to be at Pendleton Street to speak. Since I had some time, I headed off to track down a new church start that I had heard about in the downtown Greenville area. After a couple of phone calls, I got pointed in the right direction. Radius Church in Greenville is a new church plant by Matt and Jenny Reeves. The cool thing is that it didn't start as a church but rather a ministry. Matt and Jenny started an after school program for kids back in September. There are tons of kids who show up. They have several adults that tutor and mentor the kids. Matt told me that they wanted to start with a group of people that wanted to serve. It is only recently that the church has started. It was a refreshing change to see people giving of their time and energy to truly reach the area and not just give it lip service.

And speaking of refreshing, it was cool to hear him say that they were there to serve the community and not serve themselves. I am about sick and tired of hearing people with a consumer Christianity mindset hopping from church to church just so they get fed. Every time some new church or new program comes along they jump ship because their needs aren't being met. I have had three conversations with people in the past month who have said to me I'm leaving this church and going to this other one now because I'm just not getting fed. Grow up and eat for yourself. The problem isn't that you aren't being fed, the problem is that you aren't eating. Too many "Christians" are sitting around waiting on somebody to coddle them, feed them, burp them, and wipe their butt. Grow up. It's not about you. If you are a Christ Follower, then you should know it is about reaching others. And Jesus did say that they would know us by our love. And how do we love, by serving others. The folks at the after school program at Radius are doing just that. Their faith is being put in action and it is cool to see.

After I left Radius, I headed to Pendleton Street where I challenged the students to reach their peers for Christ. I spoke out of Luke 15. I was encouraged by what I saw taking place there.

After leaving Pendleton Street, I was able to catch the second half of the youth service at our home church, Marathon. Bryan did a great job in challenging students to make wise decisions. I was hoping in a weird and cynically cruel way that he would fall from the ladder. I think it would have added some street cred to his message. I was especially impressed at the way David D handled the parking lot in the midst of a monsoon.(Actually, I never saw him in the parking lot, but I knew he would read this blog and I knew he did a great job because obviously no one was run over tonight. So kudos on the parking lot.)

And Craig, please remember next time that the race is all the way to the door even if old people are coming out of IHOP. As you saw, blue haired ladies will not prevent me from winning.(Please note, no blue haired ladies were hurt in the making of this post. Maybe scared a little at two adult men running at her as she came out of IHOP but not hurt. Ok maybe scared a lot. But I did hold the door for her.)

No comments: