Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Do I Miss Youth Ministry?

I was a student minister for 14 years and from time to time I have had people ask if I miss youth ministry. There are many things I dont miss like Lock-Ins(These were invented by Satan himself), overbearing parents, parents who believe their youth can do no wrong, deacons who had never been to a youth service believing they knew how to do your job, committees(basically a group fo people who didn't show up on the night they handed out jobs for the church year and they were assigned to the youth committee), church vans that always seemed to break down 200 miles from the church, and the list could go on and on.

But there are some things that I miss and tonight was one of those moments. I had a meeting up at North Greenville University tonight and I had the privelege of sitting in on a Mission Fuge Worship service with over 900 Middle and High Schoolers who have given up a week of their time to go make a difference in the lives of others. There aren't there simply to relax and chill out at a camp but rather they are there to be servants. They have been out in the community working on houses, doing community projects and more. To be in there and here 900 students singing Mighty to Save was electric.

My meeting went well tonight with a young man who is a Staff Member with Fuge and hopefully will be getting plugged into Stone Bridge in the Fall. I've had several exciting conversations with a dozen or so people in the last couple of days and I can't wait to see what it is that God is about to do.

No comments: