Monday, October 29, 2007

You Asked

Even as a pastor, I have still received the same type of letters and emails as before so I figured that I would go ahead and to continue to answer them in the "You Asked" segment of my blog.

This one again comes from David G. of Easley

Dear Sammy,
With the thought of North Korea and possibly Iran getting Nuclear Bombs, I have begun construction of my very own underground fall out shelter under my home. So far I have poured 58 yards of concrete and used 275 linear feet of re barb. I have modeled my fall out shelter after the one featured on Happy Days episode #45 when Howard Cunningham decides to build a fall out shelter for his family. If you remember the episode then you remember how Richie didn't want to stay because he would miss his friends, Ralph Mouth, Potsy, and the Fonz and Joanie wouldn't stay because Joanie loved Chachi.

Anyway, I think I am nearing completion and getting ready to put the finishing touches on my shelter. I have stored away over 5000 gallons of drinking water in small 16 ounce bottles wrapped in lead.

The question I have is this: I am considering purchasing 15,000 MRE's(Meals Ready to Eat) from Military Surplus and was wondering if you recommended any particular flavor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and for your help I would allow you to stay for a period of 16 days in my shelter should nuclear Holocaust occur.

Well David, that sure is a generous offer to stay in the shelter for 16 days and very much appreciated but quite frankly the thought of staying in a shelter with someone who seems a little bit too stalkerish really freaks me out. I will help you out with the MRE flavors though.

Just tonight, I was given a vegetarian MRE by my friend Scott Watson at home group.
I must say I was a bit skeptical about the taste. I first tried the crackers which was the best part of the meal. Next was some Pineapple mash looking stuff followed by pound cake. Melissa actually enjoyed the pound cake which was quite moist surprisingly. My favorite part was the mini Tabasco sauce bottle. Finally it was on to the Bean Burrito. I must say I was looking forward to this part but I really never could get over the rubbery outside of the burrito and the moving feeling that took place in my stomach afterwards. I have included some pictures David so that you will know which order to eat them in.

I will say stay away from the Vegetarian MRE or the results inside the shelter could be worse than a nuclear blast. Happy nuclear winter and I hope this answers your questions.

No comments: