Friday, October 12, 2007

Volunteer of the Week

Starting this week, I am beginning a new Friday post that will highlight some of our volunteers involved at Stone Bridge. Each week it takes tons of volunteers to make things happen within the church.

Our "Volunteer of the Week" is Jeff Garrison. Jeff heads up our media at the church. This is something fairly new to him and he is getting the hang of it pretty quickly. This past week was his first time ever using Pro Presenter and he did a great job. He also helps out with shooting videos as he did for an upcoming video this Sunday.

Jeff was one of the first two people that I told that we were going to be launching a new church. I asked him if he would come on board. The coolest thing about that conversation was that he told me straight up that he did not want a job. He told me that he was happy with his job and benefits of that job but he would volunteer with the church and help out as much as he could. This was the coolest thing to hear because after being in ministry for the last 14 years, I was tired of hearing people wanting to help out just so that they could get a job. Seriously, it seems that the latest trend in churches was that you volunteered your way into a job.

Now don't get me wrong, when we start to hire staff at Stone Bridge, we will look from within first but we will also make sure that they are the right person for the job.

I remember Bill Hybels one time talking about people in your church who could be placed in leadership roles but they necessarily didn't want a job. He talked about people who were happy with their current vocation but they simply wanted to be plugged into the life of the church. I knew when Jeff said he didn't want a job that I had found one of the people Bill Hybels had talked about and it was my job to get him plugged in to where he could use his talents and gifts.

Thanks Jeff and thanks to all of our volunteers who make a difference. Next week I will be highlighting another volunteer and I already know who that is. Just a little hint "Shake and Bake".

I hope to see you all at Stone Bridge Sunday. Remember the time this week is 10:00a.m.. See you then.

No comments: