Friday, March 9, 2007

Thankful

So today was a down day here in Cincy. Isaac didn't have any hospital stuff going on so we made trip over to Indianapolis to visit the World Center of Auto Racing. That's right, I'm talking the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. A couple of things I noticed along the way: 1) Indiana may be the flatest state I have ever driven through. 2) With the all of the farm land in just Indiana, I don't think our country will ever be without corn. 3) Do the people in Indiana do anything other than farm? 4) I think that Footloose must have been filmed in Indiana. 5) The new Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis is unbelievably huge when compared to the RCA dome right next door.

Anyway, we went on to the Speedway and although we have been to the track, we have never been in their museum or taken the track tour. We decided to do both. The track tour was cool. Just to think that we were riding on the same track as the World's Best drivers was pretty cool. I will say this though, it certainly lacked the thrill part from the standpoint of speed. The ladies at Kentucky Speedway can out drive the old guy at Indianapolis Motor Speedway any day. If you are looking for a thrill ride then I recommend the 15 passenger van ride around Kentucky Speedway at 70 mph. The museum was pretty cool. It had tons of cars from past Indy 500 champions as well as some Nascar guys. I did get quite amused when looking at some of the helmets from the early years. Most were made of cloth or leather. Not really sure if that would help with your head hitting the bricks since they didn't wear seatbelts but I guess if it makes you feel safer then go for it.

The coolest thing that I saw was the special treatment that they were giving a gentleman who was blind. They opened the barriers at each car and allowed him to go up and touch and feel each car. Just his sheer excitement at being there and being able to touch the cars really made me think. This guy was thankful for the little things in life and I wondered how many times have I taken the little things for granted. It was a good reminder for me to be thankful for all that I have.

No comments: