Sunday, February 11, 2007

You Asked Part Deux-The Ant Bully(As I was named by my two nieces)

So as I said the other day I have gotten tons of emails and people asking me different questions about being back. Another question that I have fielded a lot lately has been people asking what did we miss while we were up in Cincinnati. I think my top 5 would have to be these and in this order.

  1. My Recliner- There is nothing like sitting down in front of the TV and just taking me a big ole snooze.

  2. Zaxby's - The restaurant chain hasn't made it's way up north yet.

  3. Duke's Sandwiches- These cannot be beat.

  4. Nick Henry's cake- When asked what I wanted for Christmas this was my only request.

  5. And at number 5 something that I didn't really realize that Isaac and I had missed it that much until yesterday. What might you say is that? For people up north, you have to understand something about some of us here in the south. There is nothing more fun on a warm Saturday afternoon than blowing up fire ants with firecrackers, sparklers, and smoke bombs.

Yesterday, Isaac and I were walking around in the back yard and we discovered a huge fire ant nest. Before we went to Cincinnati, Isaac and I had a favorite Saturday past time of seeking out fire ant nests and proceeding to destroy them with all forms of pyrotechnics available. When we found that nest yesterday, we both were excited and rushed into the garage to get out the fireworks.





There is a science to properly destroying these creatures. First, you must stir the nest with a stick. This gets the fire ants aggravated. Then you insert one or two smoke bombs into the nest to really get them moving about. Once they are good and stirred up, then you can either bomb them with firecrackers or you can torch them with a few sparklers. Yesterday we choose the sparkler method and created an ant size Mt. Everest with scores of fleeing and dead ants. After about an hour, we decided that the enemy had been destroyed. And a good time was had by all.(Except for the fire ants that received 2nd and 3rd degree burns on most of their body.)

No comments: