Thursday, December 21, 2006

Life Lessons Learned 2006 Edition

This year has been a probably the toughest year we have ever faced. We have been on a roller coaster for a year and a half. To say stressful would be an understatement. But one thing that we have learned this year is to laugh. I f we hadn't learned to laugh we probably would have been institutionalized by now. And the cool thing is that Isaac has been the one that has taught us this lesson the best. Even after all he has been through this year he still has laughed and made us laugh. I remember when all of his hair fell out form the chemo except for this one little mohawk strip. He would sit and make faces and have his strip of hair looking all wild.
I remember the night that he was hooked up to several iv meds and he had to try and hurry to go poop. Well I got him there and just as he bent over, he erupted with projectile diahrea. It went up the wall and all over the floor. I got him cleaned up and back into the hospital bed and then I looked into the bathroom at the mess on the wall and floor. I was mad. Melissa was at the apartmment alseep and here I was cleaning up dook. Well I got geared up(two pair rubber gloves and a gown and face mask) and headed into the bathroom. I get on my knees in the floor and I hear him laughing so hard. I got madder. I thought he is in the bed laughing and Melissa is sleeping and I am cleaning up dook. Well after a few minutes of me gagging, Isaac began to laugh harder. After a while I thought, you know here he is fighting for his life and he finds it humorous that he just has had an accident and it splatted on the wall, and I am perfectly healthy and I am a mad. It made me think. I have to be able to laugh at situations. Being mad isn't going to help anything. So I started laughing to. There are tons of things we have learned to laugh at as a family like when I barked like a dog out loud in a Texas Roadhouse or how we try to make up different voices at the fast food drive thrus(my favorite is my 13 year old boy going through puberty while I order voice. Isaac and Melissa like that one too. Well actually Isaac likes it, Melissa tries to hide her face from the people working as she is embarrassed by our shenanigans.) or when I stood at the side of the road blowing bubbles at passing cars. Lighten up it's ok to laugh.
Tommorow I will share some more life lessons as well as a cool interview for the Greenville News.

No comments: