Monday, December 4, 2006

Beer Sales at Clemson Football Games?



Ok, so most of you know that we are in Cincinnati, OH hanging out while our son Isaac recovers and gets better from his bone marrow transplant. Well since we have been in town, I have been wanting to go to a Bengals game. Well, Thursday night I got my chance when they played the Ravens. It was a cool experience for the most part. I did discover why they don't allow beer sales at the Clemson games. It all started about the first quarter. I was in a section of the stands referred to as Carson's Corner. There were about 1000 people in my section. Of those I would say roughly 999 were male ages 24-45. Of those 999 I would say there were about 998 drinking heavily. There was this one guy not drinking. Just kidding, I was probably one of only 10 or so that weren't. They were very friendly drunks. Not any macho kick your butt for looking at my woman types. Just all friendly drunks like Otis from Andy Griffith. It was about 40-45 degrees and pouring down rain. And yes I was one of only a handful with a poncho on. Well about 30 seconds from the end of the third quarter, it happened. All the men around me started chanting 4th Quarter, shirts off. They kept on and on. Finally, the 4th Quarter came and you guessed it, about 998 men pulled off their shirts. It was a weird experience. I felt like I was at a concert for the village people and they were about to start singing" you can hang out with all the boys, it's fun to stay at the YMCA". ( Just a side note, right now as some of you are reading this, you suddenly had the urge to raise your hands and start doing the letters.) But no the weird part was that these were not nascar dudes that weighed 400 pounds with back hair with the number 20 painted on their chest. These seemed like your typical banker or stock broker type guys. Fortunately, the rain began to pick up and after about 5 minutes they all put their shirts back on. Overall, other than the weird shirts off thing, the game was awesome and the Bengals won.

No comments: